Skip to main content

Living Adoption: Feelings

Being so far divorced from the experience of living adoption,  many Normies think it's appropriate to lecture or try to "teach" us about how it feels to be adopted. It's comical really, considering how far outside their capability for understanding the very idea of being adopted really is. 

"But I have a friend who is adopted, and they're just fine!"

I doubt that. I REALLY doubt that. 

I always look "fine" on the outside too, even if you know me really well. Paul Sunderland can be quoted as saying something like,  "Adoptees can test off-the-charts depressed, and still smile,  laugh,  and function like they are "just fine"." It's absolutely true.  We are well-trained in the art of subverting our real feelings,  especially those about our adoptions. 

I learned very early in life, as many adoptees do, that how I really felt was not only of absolutely no value,  but also unwanted and inappropriate. If I was unhappy, I was making everyone around me unhappy. It was deliberate,  to make "mom" unhappy. I was overly-sensitive,  "taking things too personally". Too soft-hearted. I was using my tears to manipulate those in authority, to shirk my responsibilities, and I needed to stop crying before they gave me something to cry about. 

I learned that keeping up appearances was job one. Keep "mom" happy. Keep that nylon smile pulled tight over your face, because she wasn't happy if I wasn't ecstatic myself. If I didn't "appreciate" her parenting or provisions properly, I wasn't worthy of kindness or even acknowledgement most of the time. "Mom" was the queen of the silent treatment/cold shoulder. 

I learned not to talk about my adoption. I learned to hide my feelings about it. I hid them so well, in fact, that when the subject of my adoption would come up, my rote response to the standard apologies was, "It's OK, it doesn't bother me.", all the while humming the themesong to "I Dream of Jeannie" in my head to drown out adoption in both word and thought. I believed it didn't bother me while I was searching the mirror for resemblances to my "mom". I believed it didn't bother me when I was searching every box and drawer in her house for any information she had hidden away about my adoption. I genuinely believed being adopted didn't bother me when I was trying to hang myself in my closet at eight years old.  Whenever adoption came up, I put my head down, shut my mouth, and tried to tune it out. 

Even in therapy, my feelings were not appropriate or proper. They were flawed, and to be corrected until I felt proper feelings; until I felt how adopted children are "supposed to feel". My misery was not to be validated and dealt with in a healthy fashion. It was to be fixed and reorganized until I felt happy, lucky, and grateful. My "therapist" told my "mother" everything I said, so that she could "police and correct" my "faulty, flawed emotions". This was an early incarnation of what is now termed "RAD Therapy".

And no one ever guessed how miserable I was. My closest friends at the time now say things like, "I knew something was off," did you? I doubt that. "but your family always looked so happy." Now that part I believe. We always LOOKED so happy. Or, "I thought something was wrong,  your life was too perfect."

"Your family looked so happy."
"Your life was too perfect."
"Your mom was always so cool."
I've even heard from people who grew up with me, "I don't believe you. Your mom was a kind and generous woman. How dare you say these awful things about her."

I learned early that her happiness was the happiness that mattered. That's why I was there. I was there to be the child she always wanted. And when I messed up,  I wasn't the child she always wanted, and it terrified me. While I was terrified of her,  what scared me most was that by screwing up, by being imperfect, I was giving her permission to leave me. I was making it easier for her to "send me back". She didn't have to say it aloud (though she sometimes said it anyway), it was implicit. It was always just there. Some part of me always knew I was expendable. 

But it didn't bother me at all. I was TOTALLY OK with being adopted. I was so Ok with it that I almost never spoke of it around my peers. In fact, most of the kids I grew up with forgot I was adopted at all. Even with the only other adopted kid in the county, adoption wasn't a subject of conversation. It didn't bother us that we were adopted, you see. We were "just fine". Never mind the risky behaviors we participated in,  or our desperate bids for attention and affection. I personally fell hard for the first boy who showed me any real affection and took to drinking and popping pills. But being adopted didn't bother me. I was "just fine". I mean, maybe the parents I got WERE "better" than the ones I would have had otherwise. Hell,  if you caught me on the right day,  I would have told you they were pretty great,  and I was "lucky" to have them. And in those moments, I believed it. Just as much as I believe now that I was lied to,  manipulated,  and gaslighted into believing it. 

Not believing it would have torn me apart.  I had to believe it,  really commit to the illusion, to survive. I had to believe it so they could believe it. What they believed,  what society believed,  was what mattered. 

I had to believe it so they could believe it. Chew on that for a moment. 

When I did dare to feel unhappy, no one understood it,  least of all myself. What did I have to feel unhappy about? I was "lucky". I wrote endless poems about feeling lost and drifting. Chalked up to teen angst. I wrote short stories about young mothers struggling to parent.  Adoption was never a part of those stories.  Little did I know. I wrote about unrequited and unconditional love.  I wrote about the stranglehold my "mother" carefully kept on me. 

Teen angst indeed. And all those babies who won't stop screaming right after they are "placed" just have colic. Right. 

Sure. Angst. RAD. Colic. 

Never the real culprit. ADOPTION. 

But being adopted didn't bother me. I was "just fine". "Grateful", even. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Adoptive Parent Fragility (Again)

Because, yes, it does need to be addressed again, and this time in more general terms.  ADOPTERS: Listen and listen well, because I have no intention of rewriting this blog again in Positive Adoption Language to suit your tender sensibilities. Firstly, allow me to reiterate a question from the previous incarnation of this blog. How do you expect to raise an adoptee when you can't even talk to one online? Really. Riddle me this, because I want to know. When we're little, it's easier. We don't snap back. We're content with the small proofs of love and permanence. Frankly, it's easier for us to believe and pretend, and that makes it easier for you. It allows you, for a time, to push it out of your mind. The questions are easier to answer. You get to sugar coat and leave things out. You get "Mommy, I love you" and gratitude. You get fits of insecurity, tantrums thrown out of fear or frustration. It happens to disenfranchised little people who have no

Living Adoption: At Peace, or Asshole?

Maybe you're "done with adoption". Maybe you're "at peace" with your adoptive issues. Maybe the abuses to our humanity, abuses that continue to be inflicted on children daily,  don't bother you anymore. Maybe you've "forgiven" your perpetrators. Perhaps the percieved "negativity" and justified "anger" are now tiresome to you. Well, please accept apologies from the rest of us. We're sorry we didn't heal at your pace. We're sorrier still that we just aren't as enlightened as you are.  Have you ever noticed that, cribmates? The ones who are "at peace", have "forgiven", and "choose happiness and positivity" are a bunch of superior assholes? Yes, they've "forgiven" those who wronged them. Yet they can't seem to help but belittle those who haven't or don't intend to. They're "at peace"; so much so, that they feel the need to scold everyon

The "Desire to Parent"

Probably the most problematic aspect of the adoption world.  Your desire. Your "need" for a child. Your selfishness and entitlement, thinking you"deserve" one. You want one so badly you're willng to borrow against your assets, beg from strangers, and steal from expectant mothers. You're willing to pay tens of thousands of dollars to rent a womb or buy a newborn that is probably very much wanted by its mother. To pay to strip a child of its name and family, so you can paste yours in its place and play pretend. Because you want  a child. Because you want  to "be a parent". Because somewhere along the way, society (especially wealthy white christian society), convinced itself that parenthood is a panacea, a purpose, a path to fulfillment, a happy ending. The be-all, end-all of life. I've got news for you. Parenting isn't all love and hugs, some "grand adventure". Parenting isn't "a lifelong friendship with your child&q